Sunday, January 11, 2009

New Experience

Yesterday was a big guys' day out for the Yeager boys because we had to go make our pinewood derby cars for upcoming races. While I was looking forward to it on the one hand (as evidenced by the fact that I still have the derby car from my scout days), I was also concerned how taking that time away from the house would impact my relationship with Cassidy. I didn't know if she withdraw and distance herself or excitedly greet me (didn't really care how the boys fared with her). I was also concerned about compounding things by going straight from hours away from home to plugging directly into the Cardinals' NFL playoff game.

I can happily report that Cassidy was happy to see all of us, and she even seemed very intent to spend time with me. As I sat on the floor watching the game, she hovered around me, rarely leaving the room. While that was all well and good, I was concerned that if she remained in my proximity, I might inadvertently scare her. You can try to contain the emotions, but you never know when a slip up might occur. I had been very mindful of that over the last 10 weeks... but last night's game was exceptional!!

It's one thing for your team win a game, but it's another thing for your team to embarrass the opponent. Arizona just destroyed Carolina, and in the process of annihilating those poor Panthers, I slipped... with Cassidy sitting two feet in front of me... as she was looking directly at me. I yelled, "YEAH!" and threw both of my arms in the air as if to signal "touchdown." I then came back to my senses and remembered that my sensitive little Cassidy was sitting so very close. Before my eyes could pan down from the screen to see her, I heard her yell gibberish and experienced the joy of watching my little girl raise her arms as I had! She had the biggest smile on her face, too.

Of course, it was also great because my boys love to hear me get into a football game. To date, the hardest Zachary has ever laughed was when Arizona played Dallas earlier this season. After I was done going crazy and the laughter died down, Zachary said, "Do it again..." So now it's kind of fun for me to listen to the hardy guffaws outlast my emotional outbursts. So I had the additional joy of listening to Jake laugh two rooms away.

What a great day! Derby cars with the boys and then football watching with Cass.

No comments: